Friday, May 29, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
the Board Game:
I wanted to make it so I could reuse it over and over and have it laminated. Since finishing it I've thought of lots of different ways I could have done it. You need construction paper, glue, something to use as a game piece, and a dice (standard one from a game or make one yourself so it's larger than normal-either way)
- (how I did it) I made the board to be used over and over by glueing each piece on the board and writting what the space tells you to do. I have the yellow spaces are a "you choose" and the pink and red spaces are a "question card" space. What is a "question card"? Its a card that I've put questions on for the children to answer. There are three types of questions 1-a line from one of the songs we've been learning 2-Guess that prophet: clue to who the prophet is some are modern and some from the scriptures 3- What would you do? Overall the idea is I can always make new cards. All the rest of the squares are pick a song from the song jar (all the songs we've been working on this year and in the song jar, plus a few other fun ones-I would recommend always having a song jar for a back up, and not useing glass, find a good plastic jar).
- (thought of after the fact) make the board and laminate it, cut out the squares and laminate them. Then use a marker to write the songs on the back of the squares (or the front is find since the children aren't picking the squares you land on), then tape, velco, or just hold on with the magnets when you set it up. Washable markers should come off fine, overhead markers would work great too, you could use a permant marker and then use rubbing alcohol to remove it afterwards. This way you don't make any question cards and each square has a song to sing.
- Make it up like in the first example, but instead of labeling each square, write down your own color code, you could just assign each color a song (sing it more than once if you land on that color alot or use all different colors), you number each square and assign a song to each number.
I have some other board game ideas that involve finding some old children's board games like "shuts and ladders". I got the idea from for the board game I made from a board game I made on my mission. That game was made to teach the 4th D (at the time was the Plan of Salvation Lesson). The plan of salvation game worked by choosing a card, each card had a life experince, either a good one or bad. If good you moved forward, if bad you moved backwards. Eventually you reach the end of the spaces (life) then each of the principles were taught as you move from each of the after-life pictures. Back to the game I just made... I made the start Earth because that is where we currently are and the end a sun to represent living with God in heaven. That way we are moving towards returning to Heavenly Father. You could make start and finish whatever you want. Good luck.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
I am also surprized at how much he sleeps. I know newborns sleep a lot but I didn't have any idea how much is a lot till now. Sometimes I joke my baby has narcolepsy because he seems fully awake one moment and then the next he is out and nothing I do will wake him. Everyone keeps telling me I should be grateful for these days because come a few months or weeks and it will seems like he never sleeps day or night.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Saturday, May 2, 2009
The panic and all the idiot remarks are driving me nuts. I could not hold my tongue any longer. I am trying to stay on the simple side of this discussion.
Lets get Educated:
- 1- The flu is a virus, not a bacteria- therefore it can't be treated with an antibiotic.
- 2- The flu is an upper respiratory virus.
- 3- The flu is doesn't effect your stomach, there is so such thing as a "stomach flu".
- 4- Swine Flu is not something you can get from eating pig, pork, or any pig product.
- 5- Symptoms of the Flu are fever, coughing, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.
- 6- How did the Swine Flue become a human flu?- There are many types of flu viruses. Just as with most viruses there are different types that are adapted to different species. This particular virus was adapted to pigs/swine. The flu virus is a quick evolving virus, the main reason its so hard to make an effective vaccine for the flu. In some areas of the world, humans live in close contact with animals. All of these animals have their own strains of flu, on occasion a strain has mutated enough to effect a human, and then sometimes that strain mutates again enough to effect another human who is around the first human who contracted the flu from the animal. Once it has made this mutation it is now a human virus with various levels of strength.
- 7- How to protect yourself?- Wash your hands WELL on a regular basis (not just using a hand sanitizer and not just after you use the bathroom). Get a good nights rest, exercise, and eat well (these things will keep your immune system strong). Clean surfaces that are touched regularly (especially if you work in a public place- help everyone out by cleaning door knobs, counter tops, and other high traffic areas). Avoid coughing/sneezing on others, or allowing others to cough/sneeze on you (face masks do their job, but are a little extreme, if you live in an area that has a high confirmed case rate then you might consider this extreme method of protection).
- 8- The flu, as with many viruses, have an incubation stage (a stage where you are infected but not showing signs of being sick). During this stage and the next stage (where you are showing symptoms) you too are contagious. Please take precautions when you are feeling unwell and even when you feel fine.
- 9- If you think you have the flu (swine or otherwise) or any other virus- you should stay home. Don't be going everywhere trying to function and possibly getting others sick. Wash your hands even more often than before and don't sneeze/cough on others. Take lots of Vit C (it may only be a placebo but its a placebo that apparently works) and take lots of Zinc (it has less of an effect in mass studies of people but very effective on the flu in lab tests) - so take both and lots of it. Get sleep- it will give your immune system do its job. Its sad that people only take these precautions when there is "Pandemic scare" going on. But there is always a possibility of a pandemic, and we should be taking these precautions everyday. I'm not trying to make people paranoid, because I am one of the least paranoid people out there. Instead I am trying to educate people so they will be aware and make smart choices- like washing your hands.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Yesterday was the doctor's due date. At my last appointment I brought up that we still have time before I'm 40 weeks and he explained how he calculated my due date. He explained that he calculated April 30th off of my first ultrasound and then recalculated it off of the second ultrasound we did and both came to April 30th. It made me feel better to get that explained. However his due date here we are May 1st, still pregnant, and dilated to a 5. While at my last appointment the doctor gave me a deadline for how much long he will give us to have this baby come out on his own. He gave me a week from his due date, a week from yesterday. While at the doctor's office I was actually really grateful he was giving me 9 days (that's how many days it was when I was at the doctor's), but at the same time it brings up a lot of concerns. I don't want to be induced. As we discussed what this would in tell, and my great concerns over Pitocin, the doctor said that he has no intention of giving me Pitocin. Instead he plans on just breaking my water, and that should get me going. But that doesn't work for all women, but he tried to convince me that I'm so far dilated that is all that is needed. So in the mean time we are trying everything we can to get this baby coming on his own. We've gone walking every night. I've been trying to walk on my own during the day, we took a drive up Carr Canyon (really bumpy dirt road), I sit on the yoga ball all day bouncing and rolling, and my husband gave me a blessing. And so far-nothing. I'm not worrying over it, however each day has brought a little more anxiety that he won't come on his own and we will have to break my water. I know breaking my water isn't the end of the world, but I wanted my body to do this as much as possible. The other problem is trying to keep busy. I'm having a hard time knowing what to do with myself. Sure I still have some stuff to unpack, but most of what is left I need my husband to help me with it. I could finish organizing the nursery, but its so overwhelming every time I go in there. I finally packed for the hospital, I've made chili that's in the fridge so we have food afterward, I went grocery shopping so we'll have food in the house, I finished the birthing plan and other paperwork to take with us. I want to stay busy so that I'm not constantly thinking about it, but physically labor wares me out too much and everything else costs money that we are trying not to spend. Maybe I will just go pamper myself by getting a pedicure and manicure, or go have my hair done- again there is the money thing. So until next Thursday, I'm waiting and trying to be as relaxed as possible. In one way its nice to have a deadline, so I know that at least by then- the wait will be over, because I really want icecream and I haven't had any for a few weeks now.