Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Arizona is Beautiful


When I was a child I didn't care for the desert. I wanted to live where my cousins did in Southern Colorado. Compared to the majestic mountains of Colorado the desert was more then UGLY. I dreamed about leaving this state as soon as I was old enough. But I changed. I don't know if it is I just grew up or matured, or got home sick. But One thing I know is I realized that things you like or love don't have to be mutually exclusive. I can still like the mountains and the beach, but I can love the desert and it uniqueness.
My husband and I recently moved to Sierra Vista, AZ. It is spitting distance to the Mexico boarder in southern Arizona. Living this far south is a defiant change for me. I miss my family up north. I miss the busy metropolitan life in Phoenix- the theater, the science museum, the baceball games, the concerts, the temple, the freeways, and all my friends/social life. But I have
gained something down here that is amazing. The cactus, the birds (Sierra Vista is known as a Sky Island. Over half of all the species of birds in the United States pass through this area during the year), the monsoons (it is already in full swing down here, I love monsoon season), the mountains (Sierra Vista is at the foothills of the Huachuca Mountains, they reach up to 7400 ft, in less than an hour we can feel like we are in the Colorado Mountains), the wildlife, the San Pedro River, and all the small town life but still an acceptable amount of shopping. Sierra Vista wasn't what I though it would be, it impressed me, and anyone who knows me knows that is hard to do (lets just say Shania Twain's song "That Don't Impress me much" could be my theme song.
Going back to my original argument, there is beauty all around this planet, I don't know if there is anywhere I have been that I could say was just plain UGLY. All of God's creations are beautiful, they are each a different type of BEAUTIFUL. Arizona is just extra blessed. It has the Grand Canyon, the mountains, the rolling hills, the fields of land, and the amazing deserts. Arizona is Beautiful all over.

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

Yay, Tas! Welcome to the blogging world! It's true, everyone's doing it (o: