Monday, August 4, 2008

Lisonbee Reunion and LDS Funerals

We went up to Mesa this weekend in order to attend my Grandpa Lisonbee’s funeral. Cory was given a day for bereavement, so we left to head up to Mesa Friday morning. It was disappointing that the temple was closed, all this extra time in Mesa with nothing to do… or did we really have nothing to do. We filled the time with 1- going to thrift stores to see if we could find a suit vest for Cory that would go with his khaki trousers. Just like I love vintage clothing, my husband likes classy cloths. Yes we are a good match. This trip we didn’t find any vests, maybe another time. 2- We used the last AMC gift card we have to go see Wall-E (there is no AMC in Sierra Vista). It was such a cute movie, we really enjoyed it. So cute, so funny. Even with doing all that we still had plenty of time to visit with my family.

Friday night was a family only viewing. Grandpa requested not to have a public viewing. He did not want his dead body to be “on display”. I guess I can relate to his wishes. After all no one looks good dead, you don’t want people’s last memory of you laying in a coffin. But even being family only there was a ton of people there. Grandpa had 8 children with his first wife, my Grandma Margaret Lisonbee (passed away while I was on my mission in 2002), after they divorced he married my Grandma Dorothy. She had 4 children from her first marriage. All the children were there, along with most of their children. It is sad that it takes a death in the family to get us all together. A lot of family got together for my wedding but it was nowhere near this much family. What we need is a huge long termed planed family reunion that no one could pass up. The viewing was so nice to talk and see all the family. So many relatives that I had not seen in years, like since before my mission and some even longer than that. I think that many people would have been surprised to see our viewing happening. There was much joy, laughter, talking, smiling. It would be hard to even believe that we had gather because of a death in the family. Cory, being a convert to the church had not been to a LDS viewing. Having a Irish Catholic background he has been to a few Wakes. Before we went we discussed the differences. Afterwards there was some family discussions that the only differences between Our viewing and a wake was the body was there, and there was no alcohol.

Saturday morning we were to be at the church at 8:30, and the funeral was at 9:30. I am always frustrated with how much pressure they put on family to be there so early before the funeral is to start. All you do is end up sitting around, talking, and what else till it is time. And all that time would have been so nice when sleeping, eating, and getting ready is needed. Grandpa had requested that his funeral didn’t last longer than an hour. He didn’t enjoy attending long funeral. There was an attempt at keeping his wishes. But with all the stories and life accomplishments being spoken of, we went 1.5 hours. So not too over. Grandpa had made almost all of his arrangements a few years ago. He pre-paid for his gravesite and other arrangements. He had already made the request of who was to do what. So there wasn’t a lot of planning on Dorothy’s part and of the children. I think they appreciated it, but at the same time felt a little frustration trying to give themselves closure they way they wanted to and still follow his wishes. I hope he was happy with the outcome.

To use the rest of the afternoon Cory and I went to do some errands. We had some gift cards to use and some items we needed. We also found out that there was a family swim party at my aunt Kathy’s house. We had not brought our swimsuits. So we went to Target and found Cory a new pair of board shorts (good thing because his old swimsuit was really old and super faded). We found me a new suit at Marshalls. I had bought a new suit before we got married, but I really regret the purchase. I hate the suit, it looks sick on me. I am really grateful for the suit we bought. It looked ugly on the hanger, but being a good priced one piece, I tried it on and it actually looked decent. There were two suits I felt comfortable with how they looked and I took the back out for Cory’s advice (he only saw them on the hanger) there was a tankini turquoise and this olive one piece with a gathered polka-dot bust. Cory picked the olive because he said he thought the color would look better on me- I have a husband with good taste. It has been a really long time since I felt this happy with a bathing suit.

Sunday- Cory stayed home from church because his uvula was super swollen and red. It was so big that it was touching his tongue and kept choking him. I felt so sorry for him. He gargled with warm salt water, spayed Chloraseptic, and drank throat coat. He is feeling much better today, but yesterday he was so miserable.

We are back home now. Next weekend we have plans to return to Mesa but then onward to go camping up on the rim. Have a great week everyone.

1 comment:

Cory said...

When you are in mesa let me know and we will go out to lunch or something. We are so close to Mesa