I wanted a Valentines themed singing time. I came up with a number of ideas but I never found one I was excited to do. I finally came up with the idea of a heart garden. Each song should be based around Love.
What you need:
- Construction paper
- Bucket or box
- Substance to put into the bucket or box to hold up the sticks (planters Styrofoam, Styrofoam, rocks, dirt)
- Sticks for hearts (stick, popsicle sticks)
Two idea’s for how to do the songs:
- Have the songs on the hearts already
- Have the Children think of songs that have to do with love
Some Questions to ask and talk about:
- Why is love important?
- Is Loving a commandment?
- Why do we need to Love?
- What does this song have to do with Love?
- Does Love Grow?
- What do gardens and Love have in common?
- Who Loves you?
- Where do we find/feel Love?
- How do we show Love?
- Love One Another
- Love is Spoken Here
- Reverence is Love
- Where Love Is
- Mother, I Love You
- I Feel My Saviors Love
- My Heavenly Father Loves Me
- I Am a Child of God
- Happy Family
- I Lived in Heaven*
- I Love to See the Temple
- Jesus said Love Everyone
- How Firm a Foundation*
*I would still add these if for no other reason but to practice them
I am planning on having the hearts be on the table, then as we sing we’ll place them in the garden. So by the end of Singing time they have a full garden of Heart/Flowers. I’ve considered having the sticks in the bucket already and then once we sing the song placing the hearts on the sticks.
I made my hearts to look like Valentine hearts. They are made of construction paper and some left over scrapbook paper my mother-in-law gave me. The bucket I am using was an old sharing time activity that was in the primary closet.