Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentines themed Singing Time: Garden of Love


I wanted a Valentines themed singing time. I came up with a number of ideas but I never found one I was excited to do. I finally came up with the idea of a heart garden. Each song should be based around Love.

What you need:

  • Construction paper
  • Bucket or box
  • Substance to put into the bucket or box to hold up the sticks (planters Styrofoam, Styrofoam, rocks, dirt)
  • Sticks for hearts (stick, popsicle sticks)

Two idea’s for how to do the songs:

  1. Have the songs on the hearts already
  2. Have the Children think of songs that have to do with love

Some Questions to ask and talk about:

  1. Why is love important?
  2. Is Loving a commandment?
  3. Why do we need to Love?
  4. What does this song have to do with Love?
  5. Does Love Grow?
  6. What do gardens and Love have in common?
  7. Who Loves you?
  8. Where do we find/feel Love?
  9. How do we show Love?

Suggested Songs:

  • Love One Another
  • Love is Spoken Here
  • Reverence is Love
  • Where Love Is
  • Mother, I Love You
  • I Feel My Saviors Love
  • My Heavenly Father Loves Me
  • Home
  • I Am a Child of God
  • Happy Family
  • I Lived in Heaven*
  • I Love to See the Temple
  • Jesus said Love Everyone
  • How Firm a Foundation*

*I would still add these if for no other reason but to practice them

I am planning on having the hearts be on the table, then as we sing we’ll place them in the garden. So by the end of Singing time they have a full garden of Heart/Flowers. I’ve considered having the sticks in the bucket already and then once we sing the song placing the hearts on the sticks.

I made my hearts to look like Valentine hearts. They are made of construction paper and some left over scrapbook paper my mother-in-law gave me. The bucket I am using was an old sharing time activity that was in the primary closet.

2 comments:

Melissa Ash said...

Your blog is such an amazing resource! I was just put in the primary presidency, and am over the music program. I am going to give our chorister your blog site address, and hope she uses some ideas!! Thank you so much for the work you put into this site!

PS, I just found Virginia from Pace on Facebook!!! We talked for an hour today, and she is doing very well! Not super active, but our phone call was like a little reminder to get back to church!! She even said so herself!!!

Kelly said...

thank you so much. i come up with ideas but need an extra push to make them work. i knew i wanted to use hearts, but not quite sure how to use them. thanks for your dedication.