- Fast and Testimony Meetings ALWAYS runs way over. Sure other Sunday's run over too, but Fast Sunday it ALWAYS does. So Jr primary starts late, way late!
- Because of baby blessings and visitors we have to help them find there class...., RS bringing in this months announcements..... it takes us longer to get started.
- We always have visitors to sing "Welcome" to.
- Since its a new month we sing "Happy Birthday" to all the children who have a birthday this month.
- Its a new theme and a new scripture for the month, so they are introduced.
- AFTER all this then I get to do "Singing Time" and teach the song. By now I only have maybe 10 left for ALL of JR primary's time (for Singing and Sharing times). How am I suppose to TEACH in that time, let alone turn the time over for "Sharing Time."
- Also after all this, long sacrament meeting, starting late, introducing a scripture- those little 3 yr olds (and we have a ton of them) and all the other little children (oldest we have are 6 and there are very few of them) are done, they don't want to, can't, and will NOT sit still or pay attention. They NEED a wiggle song, they need activity. But I am so frustrated because I don't ever feel like I have any time to do help them with that need.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
1st Sunday of the Month- GRRRRRR
I am SERIOUSLY considering starting the new song on a different week than fast Sunday. It is just too hard. Here are the reasons why.....
So not only do I have to plan completely different lessons for JR and SR due to JR's inability to read yet, and because of the learning speed. But I also have to do it because SR has the time on fast Sunday to learn the song, so they always have an extra Sunday of productive time above the JR primary. I am having to do twice as much work preparing a lot of extra lessons. I have spoken to the Primary Presidency a number of times about my concern for the time. I have suggested that we do birthday's another Sunday of the month. We talked about the idea of not doing "Sharing Time" more than just introducing the new theme on the first Sunday. It has been suggested to me to more the room around for JR primary to make it a horseshoe so that I'm closer in proximity to ALL the children than the long room way. I am considering just making the first Sunday review the previous month's song and play a song game, rather than start the new song. Then I would start the new song the next Sunday. I don't know what the solution is, all I know right now is that what we are currently doing is stressing me out.
Problem 2: I need ideas for teaching JR primary. I do actions/ASL with them regularly. I use LOTS of pictures when I'm teaching them. I'm not real good with little children. I am at my best with ages 7-9, but they are all in SR primary.What do you remember from your primary days. What kept your attention? What have you seen that works with very young children (nursery too)? How do you teach a song in nursery? Is there anything better, or as good, out there as good old fashion relation? Please any help ya'll may have. Thanks.