Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Arizona Monsoons

Monsoon season in Arizona is in full swing. For those of you who aren't familiar with what this is I will explain. Monsoons Season in Arizona is when there is humidity goes up and the clouds roll in in a very short amount of time. Once the humidity gets so high the clouds let loose and pour.
It lasts anywhere from 5 minutes of pouring to an hour or two. Its amazing to watch- hard to get a good picture of though. This will happen almost everyday, about once a day, most of the time in the evening hours or late afternoon. I love listening to the rain and watching. As a child my favorite part would be when the electricity would go out. We'd use candles and flashlights until the power would go back on. Now that is exactly what I don't want. Then my dishwasher or washing machine might stop in the middle of a load. We also have our own well and the pump runs on electricity and  when there is no power there is no showers, no working toilet, no water.
I love clouds. They are gorgeous. I wish I could paint so I could catch them in a moment. I will have to settle for taking pictures. Monsoon clouds are the best. They are fluffy but have a denseness that looks like they are look squishy like a sponge.
I love monsoon season. After the monsoons are done, summer is over and its time for Autumn. Such wonderful seasons we have in Arizona.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

We have monsoons here in New Mexico as well and I echo your feelings. I love to watch the sky and the clouds and smell the rain and feel the electricity. I don't much like the 7 miles of muddy roads if I'm caught out, but I like this season also!

Unknown said...

Me too. It's cloudy here right now, and I just keep hoping for rain. It's a fun change from the sun and heat.