Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 Primary Program


I was asked by our Primary President a few weeks ago to pick what we are doing for the songs that we get to pick. I realized that it is now the new year, and although I let the Primary President know what songs- I've never done a post on it.
  • JANUARY- "I Know My Savior Loves Me", its it the 2010 guideline book or download it off the church website.
  • FEBRUARY- "He Sent His Son" CSB pg 34
  • MARCH- "Follow the Prophet" CSB pg 110 We are planing a joint Singing Time/Sharing Time to teach the verses of this song. We will also be doing ASL for the chorus of this song. As we get a little closer I will post a video.
  • APRIL- "The Church of Jesus Christ" CSB pg 77 (I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I know who I am, I know God's plan....)
  • MAY*- "I Feel My Savior's Love" CSB pg 74 We will be doing ASL to this song.
  • JUNE- "The Holy Ghost" CSB pg 105
  • JULY- "Come, Follow Me" Hymn book pg 116
  • AUGUST*- "I Am a Child of God" CSB pg 2 We are planing to do the first verse twice. On the second time through it will be sung in a language other than English. I haven't decided if it will be Spanish or German (we have a family from Germany in our ward and a number of RMs who served in German, plus we are a military ward so several families have lived in Germany). I also haven't decided if I will be teaching it to all the children or just to a small group who will then sing it in the other language.
What are some of the songs that your Primaries' will be doing for their choice songs? Are any of ya'll doing anything special for any of the songs and the program? Its so hard to get refocused on this years program, since it feels like we just finished the program. I'm hoping to make this year easier on the children so that we can spend more time having some fun activities and more overall reviewing. Last year's group of songs was so heavy and hard for a lot of the children.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

I was wanting to do ASL to the May song as well, but I can't figure out how to download the video so that I can watch it and learn it. Do you know of any websites that could help?? Thanks for all your ideas!

Arizona Girl said...

Yes there is the ASL on the church site, I tend to ask those I know that do ASL and get their opinion. I don't know about any sites that do ASL LDS songs on their site, some are on youtube (search by song and ASL). I heard (have not found it) that church distribution has a video you can purchase with all of the program's songs done with ASL.
I don't like the church's ASL, they sign every wood. I pick a few signs for each phrase. There are lots of dictionary ASL sites around, I like http://www.signingsavvy.com/ you put in the word you want and a video comes up demonstrating it. In a month or so I am going to post a video of me doing an instructional video for "I Feel My Savior's Love" and the chorus to "Follow the Prophet" here on my blog. They are simplified so that all the children (especially the little ones) can do all the signs together. One of the pet peeves of our primary pres is that signing must be together or we can't do it, if there are too many signs it looks like a mess on stand. Good Luck.