Thursday, January 7, 2010

January: I Know That My Savior Loves Me


Started teaching this song last week. I had a hard time trying to decide how to teach it. Every time I sat down to work on brainstorms I came up blank. Reading other blog ideas and the suggestion in the 2010 Sharing Time booklet were "nice" ideas. The problem is when I've tried a conceptual teaching, I end up re-teaching the whole song later with another method. Conceptual is nice for introductions to a song, but not for teaching it. In desperation I had found a few pictures, but nothing I felt good about. Sunday morning (since church is now at 10:30am I had some time) I did some more looking about on the internet and found this flip chart. I normally don't like to use the flip charts that are out there because I normally feel they are inadequate. The pictures tend to be small, the type is always too small to read, and often I don't like how many lines are assigned to each picture. I found this flip chart, I liked most of the pictures in this flip chart. I cut out the pictures and printed out new larger phrases. I have this poster board that is laminated (or something like it); it was inheritance from the previous chorister. I taped the pictures and key phrase words to the board. I don't have a picture at the moment- hopefully I will get some taken soon.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This is a hard song to teach! My Senior kids have it down but the junior? Not remotely! Last week I made a 'melody map' to show where the notes go next, that helped a little. Today we sang with a bag of animals, when I held up the cow we moo-ed... this kept their focus and helped reinforce the tune. I used that flip chart as well, and the kids couldnt' read the words :( too small. I was bummed!tri

Arizona Girl said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes this is a hard song to teach. After two weeks of teaching this song- the SR have both verses. But the JR is really struggling. I've decided just to keep plowing through. I learned after last year that the JR primary eventually get it and not to fret so much about wondering if they are.